Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces a number of existing benefits and tax credits:
- Housing Benefit
- Income-based Jobseekers’ allowance
- Income-based Employment & Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Child Tax Credits
- Working Tax Credits
You cannot usually get any of these benefits or tax credits separately if you get Universal Credit.
At the moment, only single jobseekers can claim Universal Credit in Cotswold Distict. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is in the process of extending Universal Credit to everyone.
For more a more detailed explanation about Universal Credit see the: DWP Universal Credit video on YouTube
How to apply
Universal Credit is claimed and managed online.
Apply for Universal Credit - GOV.UK
If you’re already receiving benefits
If you are already claiming at least one of these benefits or tax credits and your circumstances do not change, the DWP will transfer you onto Universal Credit at a later date.
How we can help
Although Universal Credit is run by the DWP, not the Council, we are here to support you. We provide the following support to Universal Credit claimants:
- Help and financial advice if you are struggling to manage payments:
- call our benefits team on 01285 623035 or
- email the benefits team
- Additional support for paying council tax
- Discretionary Housing Payments to assist people who are receiving their Housing Costs paid through Universal Credit but are struggling to pay their rent, or need help with moving costs or rent in advance.