Northleach is renowned for being the town with a workhouse at one end and a prison at the other.
Museum of mechanical music
In the centre of the town is the museum of mechanical music, which is a rare treat. For more details please:
Church of St Peter and St Paul
The magnificent church of St Peter and St Paul at Northleach can claim to be a ‘cathedral of the Cotswolds’. Here the finest of Cotswold stone was used to create a magnificent example of the 15th century Cotswold Perpendicular, and containing some of the best wool merchants brasses in the country.
The church stands just off the market place, which itself was once much larger. Indeed there are two open spaces, the Market Place and The Green, and a wander around them will reveal much of interest.
Some timber-framed buildings survive but this is very much a stone town. A walk along the entire length of the High Street is recommended. The medieval property boundaries – the burgage plots – can still be traced from the town’s foundation in the 13th century.
Amongst the earlier buildings are Dutton Almshouses ‘for women’ built in 1616.
Map and directions
For a map and directions please visit: