Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Scrap metal

You need a licence to buy and sell scrap metal.

Types of scrap metal licence

  • Site collectors licence - allows you to buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the council area.
  • Collector’s licence - allows you to travel within the council area to collect scrap metal. You may not take this metal back to a site that you run within the council area in order to sell it.

Apply for a scrap metal licence

Before you apply you'll need a Basic Disclosure certificate from DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) for yourself and any person listed on the application, including the site manager (if applying for a site licence), each partner if a partnership, and, if a company, for the director(s), company secretary and shadow director.  

When assessing applicants, partnerships or a company's suitability to hold a scrap metal dealer's licence, we will check each Basic Disclosure certificate against the list of convictions for relevant offences. Having a conviction for a relevant offence may not automatically prevent you from having a licence.

Apply for a basic disclosure certificate

The licence lasts for three years

Apply to change a scrap metal licence

Fees for scrap metal licences

Scrap metal licence type Fee
Collectors licence £280
Site licence £400
Variation to collectors or site licence £60