Hackney carriage vehicle licences
Hackney carriage taxis:
- can be hailed immediately or pre-booked
- can use designated taxi ranks
- have their fares set by the council
You must have a licence to use your vehicle as a taxi.
What you will need to apply for a licence
- proof of insurance
- meter calibration certificate
- valid MOT – unless the vehicle is less than 1 year old from first registration
- V5 or proof of purchase
- LOLER and weight test certificate (for wheelchair accessible vehicles only)
- £288 for a new licence
- £213 for a licence renewal
- for new and transfer applications, the vehicle must be less than 5 years old from the date of first registration
- for renewal applications, the vehicle must be less than 15 years old from the date of first registration
The vehicle must have:
- a fare meter
- roof signs
- no smoking signs
- first aid kit
- fire extinguisher
Wheelchair accessible vehicles are exempt from the age requirements. Other specialist vehicles may also be exempt.
You can renew your licence at a reduced cost if you return the application form at least 7 days before your licence expires.
If your licence has expired you’ll need to apply for a new licence at the full cost.
It is your responsibility to check the expiry date of your licence. We will not send you a reminder or any other documentation.
Return your completed application form, supporting documents and fee to email@example.com
Or you can post them to us at:
Environmental and Regulatory Services
How you can pay
- Pay online - renewal only
- by phone (01285) 623000
- by cheque sent with your application form
We’ll process your application within 5 working days.
You can transfer your licence to another vehicle or person. Transfer applications have the same requirements as new vehicles.
Use the form below to apply. We’ll process them within one working day.
Temporary Vehicle licence (Insurance Company)
Transfer vehicle licence to another person
Transfer vehicle licence to another vehicle (1 year)
Transfer vehicle licence to another vehicle (remainder of plate)
Change of Registration Number
Other vehicle fees
Replacement Vehicle Internal Plate
Replacement Vehicle External Plate
Administration charge for any other requests
We will not refund any licences.
DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)
If you are not a licensed driver or private hire operator with Cotswold District Council, you will need to submit a basic DBS check with your application. Please visit the DBS for further information: https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record These must be carried out on an annual basis.
Report an accident
You must notify us if you have an accident that affects your vehicle or customer convenience. Complete the accident form below and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org no more than 72 hours after the accident.