Make sure your taxi or private hire vehicle is safe and legal:
- a licensed vehicle will display a licence plate on the rear of the vehicle
- a licensed driver will wear or display an identity badge with the licence number and licensing authority details
Sit in the back of the vehicle and keep your mobile phone where it is easily accessible.
If you feel uneasy, make a note of the taxi number plate and driver’s licence number and text them to a friend or family member.
To report any concerns, email firstname.lastname@example.org or get in contact.
There are two types of vehicle which carry fare-paying passengers.
Hackney carriages (taxis)
- can use taxi ranks
- can be hailed in the street
- do not need to be pre-booked
- the council sets their fare and have a meter
- have a white licence
- display taxi roof signs
Private hire vehicles
- Must be booked in advance
- Have a yellow licence
- Should agree their fare in advance