Make sure your taxi or private hire vehicle is safe and legal:
- A licensed vehicle will display a licence plate on the rear of the vehicle.
- A licensed driver will wear or display an identity badge with the driver’s licence number and licensing authority details.
We have a list of taxi companies in the Cotswolds available to download.
- Sit in the back of the vehicle
- Keep your mobile phone where it is easily accessible
- If you feel uneasy, make a note of the number plate and driver’s licence number and text them to a friend or family member
To report any concerns
Email email@example.com or call the licensing team on 01285 623000.
The different sorts of taxis explained
There are two types of vehicle which carry fare paying passengers - Hackney Carriages (Taxis) and Private Hire Vehicles, both of which must be licensed.
|Taxi type||Hackney Carriages||Private hire vehicles|
|Booking||Can be found on taxi ranks. Booking not required.||Must be booked in advance.Do not use a vehicle if you feel unsafe or the vehicle is in a state of disrepair.|
|Roof sign||Yes - mandatory||No - although can show one as long as it doesn't state 'taxi'|
|Fares||Set fare scales displayed in the vehicle. The precise fare is calculated by a meter.||Fare should be agreed before journey begins.|
|Licence colour||White - internal windscreen plate and external plate on rear of vehicle||Yellow - internal windscreen plate|