Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Food export health certificate

We are currently looking into what Brexit means for the Food Export Certificate. This page will updated once we know more.

We issue health certificates to food businesses who wish to export food. They are provided to help local exporters meet the food safety requirements. Before giving you the certificate, we need to check that:

  • your business is registered with us 
  • we are satisfied with the food hygiene standards at your premises

Apply for a food export health certificate

For an application to be valid please:

  • fill in all sections of the request form correctly
  • pay Cotswold District Council. To pay by debit or credit card please contact us

Return the form by email to or post it to Public Protection, Trinity Road, GL7 1PX.

It is your responsibility to get the required wording for the certificate which can vary between countries. You may need to contact the country's embassy if your customer cannot supply this information.

Information about issuing food export health certificate

  • We will always try and add the wording on your form, but we cannot say that we guarantee the safety of any individual consignment of food. Wording will normally state that your foodstuffs are produced and stored in premises subject to our jurisdiction as a food authority and have passed the inspection programme.
  • We reserve the right to not issue certificate if we are dissatisfied with hygiene standards and practices on your premises.
  • We cannot certify an individual manufacturing process.
  • If you have not received a food hygiene inspection within the required due date (according to our database) then we will need to come and inspect before we can issue a certificate. We make every effort to inspect by the due date.
  • The application and consultation process will generally take up to five working days. You will receive your certificate through the post unless you ask to collect it from the council.
  • If you have any difficulties with the documentary requirements of importing countries, visit and contact the Food Standards Agency website