Find a registered electrician

Electrical work

Your responsibilities as a homeowner

Did you know that it is your responsibility to ensure that any electrical installation in your home is either completed by a competent person scheme-registered electrician, or checked by one?

Under Part P of the building regulations, DIY work and electrical installation work carried out by non-registered traders should be checked and certified. As the property owner, you’re ultimately responsible for ensuring electrical work complies with the rules.

The regulations do not stop you doing your own work or using an unregistered tradesperson, but you still need to make a Building Regulations Application or have a member of an electrical competent persons’ scheme check it and issue the notice and certificate.

It’s easier and safer if you use an electrician registered with a government-authorised competent persons’ scheme because then you may not need to put in an application to your local authority as they’re authorised to do this. To find a registered electrician, please:


Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road