Skip to main content

Unauthorised building work

Work which has not followed building regulations may be unauthorised.

You can report building work which you think has been done without approval by:

Retrospective building control

Work that has been done without getting building regulations approval is unauthorised and can cause problems when you try and sell a property. You will need building regulations approval retrospectively by applying for a regularisation certificate.

It is only possible to apply for a regularisation certificate (PDF 3.9 MB) for work completed after 11 November 1985. Once we have received your application we may need to inspect the work before issuing a regularisation certificate.