What happens to your recycling

Food and garden waste

Food and garden waste are composted at an 'In Vessel Composter' plant at Dymock in Gloucestershire. You can buy this compost as a soil improver - it is available from all County household recycling facilities, including Fosse Cross, at £3.50 for a 40 litre sack.

Paper and cardboard

Paper and cardboard are baled at JM Freeths, Thamesdown Recycling depot at Cricklade, before being transported to mills in Britain and Asia (mainly China) to be recycled into new paper products. The material is tracked and regular audits are done to ensure that it is all being recycled.

Glass bottles and jars

Glass bottles and jars are made into new glass products at Berryman and Rockware Glass in Yorkshire.

Aluminium cans

Aluminium cans are made into new aluminium products at Novelis in Warrington, Cheshire.

Steel cans

Steel cans are made into new steel products at Corus in Port Talbot, South Wales.

Mixed rigid plastics

Plastics are recycled as follows:

  • mixed plastics such as bottles, pots, tubs and trays are transported to Roydon, a re-processor based in Swinton, UK. They turn the material into plastic pellets which are used in the plastic manufacturing industry.
  • HDPE milk bottles are transported to J&A Young in Leicestershire to be made back into milk bottles.
  • Black and brown plastic goes to the Netherlands to be recycled into coloured plastic products.


The Salvation Army collects textiles for re-use or to sell as rags.

Tetra Pak type cartons

Tetra pak cartons are recycled in the UK by Sonoco.

My Cotswold

Look up your:

  • Bin collection dates
  • Nearest planning applications
  • Local maps




Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road