The Council is aware that some areas of the district are currently experiencing problems with the sewers. This is due to the sheer volume of water entering the sewage network system. Thames Water is responsible for the sewer system and is fully aware of the situation. Problems are currently being experienced in parts of Cirencester, South Cerney and Fairford.
If you are experiencing specific problems please contact Thames Water:
- by phone 0800 316 9800 or
- text phone 0800 316 9898
To view Gov.Uk's frequently asked questions about flooding and sewer problems, please:
If you are unable to flush your toilet
Public Health England has provided the following advice. The following options may be available to householders whose toilets cannot be used:
- It may be possible and practicable to use the facilities of unaffected family, friends, neighbours, public toilets, local shops, supermarkets and hotels. Chemical toilets ("portaloos") may be provided in your area – please contact Cotswold District Council on 01285 62300.
- Portable bag in bag products (e.g. "brief relief", "wag bag") designed for solid and urine waste may be provided in your area. Once used according to manufacturers' instructions, the waste bag should be placed inside another bag, such as a bin liner, and disposed of in the usual way.
Sewer network maintenance
Thames Water are responsible for making sure our sewer network is well maintained and running smoothly, but their remit does not extend to investigating and solving groundwater, river flooding or surface water problems. This falls to local authorities and the Environment Agency.
Outside your home
If flooding has not entered your home, please call Thames Water after the water levels have subsided. There is nothing they can do until this happens, so please help them focus on those customers with sewage in their homes.
Inside your home
If you are suffering from flooding inside your home please:
- call Thames Water on 0845 9200 800 and they will investigate.
- Contact the Environment Agency on their 24-hour Floodline 0845 9881 188.
- If your property is flooded by river water, contact your home insurers as soon as possible.
For more information please:
- visit the Thames Water Website
Roadside gullies, highways drainage and sandbag locations
If you need to speak to someone about roadside gullies, highways drainage or locating sandbags, please:
- phone Cotswold District Council on 01285 623000