Houses in multiple occupation

Houses that are occupied by three or more people who do not live as a single household are known as Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO), for example:

  • Bedsits
  • Shared houses and lodgings
  • Employment or educational accommodation
  • Shared accommodation for homeless people
  • Residential Care Homes and similar establishments 

HMO licences

Houses in Multiple Occupation must be licensed if they are:

  • Three or more storeys high (includes cellars, basements and loft conversions)
  • Occupied by five or more people forming more than one household.

You can be fined up to £20,000 for renting out an unlicensed HMO.  

Licences will be given if:

  • the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
  • the applicant is the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • the proposed manager has control of the house and is the best person to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory.

A 3 year HMO licence costs £450.

Apply for a HMO licence

Approval of the HMO licence

If you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period you will be able to act as though your application is granted. The licence for your HMO is valid for a maximum of five years and you need to apply for another licence before the current one expires.

Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road