Skip to main content

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) - Privacy notice

Who we are and what we do

The Council is a data controller under the Data Protection Legislation as we collect and process personal information about you in order to provide services and meet our statutory and regulatory obligations.

This notice explains why we ask for your personal information, how that information will be used and how you can access your records.

Any questions regarding our privacy practices should be sent to:

Data Protection Officer (DPO)
Cotswold District Council
Council Offices
Tel: 01993 861194

Why we need your information and how we use it

We will use your personal data as part of the Council’s statutory duties in relation to the administration of the Community Infrastructure Levy and the collection of charges. Where a CIL liability applies, this information is required by law. This includes any contact by email, letter or telephone. We may also receive information about you from third parties, including planning agents and interested parties. CIL legislation requires us to collect data relating to applicants, agents, liable parties, landowners and interested parties (as appropriate).

We will also use your personal information in order to consult with you on planning applications and to consult you on, notify or inform you of planning obligation related matters under:

  • The Community Infrastructure Levy Regulations 2010 (as amended),
  • the Planning Act 2008 (as amended),
  • the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended),
  • the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended),
  • the Town and Country Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (as amended),
  • the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) 2007 (as amended)
  • and other associated planning legislation

The processing of your information is necessary for compliance with the legal obligations contained within these Acts.

What type of information is collected from you

In order to administer our services we collect the following information from you:

  • Basic personal information including name, address and contact details;
  • Any other information you provide to us which is required by the CIL Regulations, including data which may include personal identifiers or sensitive information

Who your information may be shared with (internally and externally)

We may share your personal data with other services within the Council for CIL purposes, for example to register CIL as a land charge and for the monitoring and enforcement of CIL liabilities. We may also share your personal data with third parties, including the Planning Inspectorate (PINS) or Valuation Office Agency (VOA), for the purposes of determining CIL appeals and proceeding with any enforcement action to recover due monies.

How long we keep your information (retention period)

We will keep your information for as long as it is required by us or other regulatory bodies in order to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or for other operational reasons.

Planning Applications and associated documents, including those in relation to S106 agreements and CIL, are held as a public register as required by the Development Management Procedure Order 2015.

The register must be kept indefinitely and is stored in our secure document system. This register is also published on our website. However, we hold CIL documentation containing any personal information as confidential, and is therefore not subject to general public access.

How we protect your Information

We will not transfer your personal data outside the EU without your consent.

We have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personal data from loss, misuse, or unauthorised alteration or destruction.  

Please note however that where you are transmitting information to us over the internet this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure.  

For any payments which we take from you online we will use a recognised online secure payment system. We will notify you promptly in the event of any breach of your personal data which might expose you to serious risk.

Your rights 

You have rights under the Data Protection Legislations:

  • To access your personal data
  • To be provided with information about how your personal data is processed
  • To have your personal data corrected
  • To have your personal data erased in certain circumstances
  • To object to or restrict how your personal data is processed
  • To have your personal data transferred to yourself or to another business in certain circumstances
  • You have the right to be told if we have made a mistake whilst processing your data and we will self report breaches to the Information Commissioner. 

How you can access, update or correct your information

The Data Protection Legislation allows you to find out what information is held about you, on paper and computer records. This is known as ‘right of subject access’ and applies to your Services data along with all other personal records.

If you wish to see a copy of your records you should contact the Data Protection Officer. You are entitled to receive a copy of our records free of charge, within a month.

In certain circumstances access to your records may be limited, for example, if the records you have asked for contain information relating to another person.

The accuracy of your information is important to us to be able to provide relevant services more quickly. We are working to make our record keeping more efficient. In the meantime, if you change your address or email address, or if any of your circumstances change or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date please email us or write to us at:

Planning Service
Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road
Contact us

Further information

If you would like to know more about how we use your information, or if for any reason you do not wish to have your information used in any of the ways described here, please tell us. Contact the Data Protection Officer.

You can also complain to the Information Commissioner:

We reserve the right to update this privacy notice from time to time by publishing a new version on our website.

Related Pages