Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.


Premises licence (gambling)

Under the Gambling Act 2005 a premises licence is required for:

  • Casino premises
  • Bingo premises
  • Betting premises, including tracks
  • Adult gaming centres
  • Family entertainment centres

 The objectives of licensing under the Gambling Act 2005 are to:

  • prevent gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder, or being used to support crime;
  • ensure that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way; and
  • protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

Apply for a gambling premises licence

What happens next?

After submitting your application you are required to advertise your application at the premises for 28 days (see guidance notes in the application pack for further details).

After the 28 day consultation period has expired, if no representations have been received from responsible authorities or interested parties, then the licence is granted as applied for.  We will issue the licence shortly after.

If we receive a representation from a responsible authority or interested party then the application may need to be considered by the licensing sub-committee. A hearing will be arranged within 20 working days after the end of the representation period.

Gaming machine permit/notification

If your premises is licensed under the Licensing Act 2003 for the sale of alcohol on the premises (excluding premises where the sale of alcohol on the premises is to accompany food) then you have an automatic entitlement to offer either one or two gaming machines of category C or D as long as the licence holder for the sale of alcohol gives notice of the intention to make gaming machines available, to the licensing authority, and pays a £50 fee.  These last indefinitely until the licence holder changes.

This is in accordance with section 282 of the Gambling Act 2005.

Licensees who wish to provide more than two category C or D machines must obtain a gaming machine permit. Applicants can use the same form to apply for a gaming machine permit or to notify the licensing authority of their intention to make available one or two machines.  The fee for this is £150 and there is an annual fee of £50. You must also submit a plan of the premises identifying the location of each machine.

What happens next?

For licensed premises - all notifications are automatically granted and the confirmation will be with you within two weeks.  With permits for more than two machines, the licensing department will check with the police and the gambling commission to ensure that there are no objections and will then issue the permit to you within two weeks.  If there are objections, a licensing sub-committee will be organised as soon as reasonably practicable.

Gaming machines at club premises

There are two types of permits under the Gambling Act 2005 for gaming machines in members’ clubs, commercial clubs and miners’ welfare institutes.

Club gaming permits allow a combination of up to three machines in the following categories:  B3a, B4, C and D.  They also allow gaming up to certain limits.  The permits last 10 years and the application fee is £200 with an annual fee of £50.

Club machine permits allow a combination of up to three machines in the following categories:  B3a, B4, C and D.  The permits last 10 years and the application fee is £200 with an annual fee of £50.

At the end of the 10 years there is a renewal process for both types of permits.

How to apply

Call 01285 623000 for an application.

What happens next?

For clubs the applicant is required to serve a copy to the police and the gambling commission.  Where there are no objections, the permit will automatically be granted and where there are objections, the application will be taken to a licensing sub-committee as soon as reasonably practicable.

Raffles (small society lotteries)

All small society lotteries require a registration under the Gambling Act 2005. This registration is needed when your organisation intends to sell printed raffle tickets in advance of the date on which the draw will take place. The small society lottery registration is mainly for charitable purposes.

After the raffle has taken place a financial return form must be returned to the council within three months.

The registration operates on a calendar year basis and after the initial registration; an annual fee of £20 has to be paid within two months prior to the anniversary of when the registration was applied for if the registration is to remain in force (an invoice will be sent to the promoter).

How to apply

Download the lottery application pack and read the guidance notes:


The fee is £40.

What happens next

After you have returned the application form, if you have not heard from us within two weeks, the licence is deemed granted. You can email the form to

Statement of principles

Under the Gambling Act 2005 we are required to prepare, every three years, a statement of our licensing principles. The statement, which may also be referred to as a policy, can be reviewed and re-published during the three year period in which it has effect.

Cotswold District Council’s current Statement of Principles will expire in January 2022.

Local Area Profiles

The Local area profile has been created with a view to increasing awareness of local risks, improving information sharing and to facilitate constructive engagement with licensees and a more coordinated responses to local risks.