Council Tax support
The Council Tax reduction scheme is mainly funded by a government grant.
You are part of a protected group if you are a pensioner or receiving one of the following benefits:
- Disability premium
- Enhanced disability premium
- Severe disability premium
- Disability premium for dependants
- Enhanced disability premium for dependants
- Disability earnings disregard
- Council Tax disability band reduction
- Employment support allowance (any rate)
- War disablement pension
- War widows pension
- Personal Independent Payment (PIP)
You may be able to get help with your council tax bill if you are on a low income or claim benefits. The help you could receive will depend on:
- your circumstances (for example, income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
- your household income, this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
- if your children live with you
- if other adults live with you
To be eligible for Second Adult Rebate you must have reached state pension credit age.
Apply for council tax supportApply for Council Tax support online
If you cannot apply online for any reason download and return the form.
We aim to make a decision on complete applications within 14 days. If we need further information to support your claim we will write to you. We will notify you once your claim has been assessed.
Backdating a claim
If you haven't been able to apply for benefits immediately we may be able to backdate your application.
Help with housing costs
You may be eligible for further help with housing costs.