Council Tax Support
You may be able to get help with your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income or claim benefits. The help you could receive will depend on:
- your circumstances (for example, income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
- your household income, this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
- if your children live with you
- if other adults live with you
Apply for Council Tax SupportApply for Council Tax Support online
If you cannot apply online for any reason, contact the benefit team on 01285 623035 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance.
We aim to decide complete applications with all required supporting evidence within 14 days. If we need further information to support your claim, we will write to you. We will notify you once your claim has been assessed.
Backdating a claim
If you haven't been able to apply for benefits immediately we may be able to backdate your application.
Help with housing costs
You may be eligible for help with housing costs.
Second Adult Rebate for pension age customers
Second Adult Rebate is for single people, who have reached state pension age, who pay Council Tax but share their home with another adult aged 18 or over, who is on a low income and does not pay rent.
To claim this rebate the person or people sharing your home must not be:
- your partner (married or unmarried)
- under 18
- paying rent
- liable for Council Tax
- a joint owner or joint tenant
- already disregarded for a discount on your Council Tax bill; for example you must not be getting a student discount of 25%
If you want to claim this benefit, please contact the benefit team on 01285 623035 or email email@example.com to request an application form.
External support agencies
For further help see our list of external support agencies.