Skip to main content

Council Tax and the Freeman on the Land

The Freeman on the Land movement and similar groups, commonly believe that they are bound only by statute laws they consent to. Being a ‘freeman’ or associating with similar beliefs does not exempt any person from paying Council Tax.

There are many misleading articles and templates regarding the legality of Council Tax. Anyone drawing on these for advice should exercise caution and seek proper independent legal advice before using them as a defence against Council Tax liability based on contract, consent and common law.

The liability to pay Council Tax falls under the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and later regulations. This is a statute created by a democratically elected Parliament of the United Kingdom which has received the assent of the Crown.

Liability to pay Council Tax is set by The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992. This gives local authorities the right to demand Council Tax which is used to fund essential local services including Adult Social Care, the local Police service, and your local Councils.

Council Tax is not optional and not something you consent to. If you are liable to pay Council Tax, you must make your payments.

Any reference to a person not giving their consent or there being a contractual relationship with the Council or unfounded notices, appointments or orders have no legal basis.

We will continue to respond to Council Tax queries and requests for help and assistance, however we will not reply to correspondence that relies on these inaccurate views.

For information about how the Council uses your information for the purposes of administering Council Tax including setting up your account for billing purposes, processing discounts, exemptions etc. please see the Council Tax Privacy Notice.