Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Selling, renting or making alterations to your former council property

If you own an ex-council property that was bought from Cotswold District Council under the Right to Buy scheme before 28 February 1997 there may be a legal restriction (known as a Section 19 or Section 157) on it so you may need to apply to us for consent to:

  • alter or
  • sell or re-let your property.

After 28 February 1997 we transferred our housing stock to a housing association, now known as the Bromford Group. The restrictions still apply but you will need to apply to Bromford for their consent. Please:

Check if your property has a restriction

The restrictions can be found on the original sale paperwork from us or you can check your property deeds or access the Land Registry service (fees may apply).

Apply for consent to alter

You need to get our permission if you plan to alter the outside of the property. This could include planning permission, building regulations or works under permitted development e.g. an extension, a porch or an outbuilding.

Selling and marketing your ex local authority property

We require you to market the property to local people for eight weeks before we will consider an application for consent to sell it to a person who doesn’t automatically qualify for it. This is to allow local people more time to make arrangements to buy or let these properties before they can be offered for sale or let in the open market.   

1. Tell your estate agent about the restriction

Details of the restriction need to be clearly advertised in the marketing details to reduce the risk of the sale falling through because the council will not give consent. For further details and wording see our:

2. Inform our Land Legal and Property Team

Once you have appointed estate agents you will need to email or write to us to let us know:

  • Your name(s)
  • The estate agent details
  • Full address of the property to be marketed
  • When the marketing will start
  • Provide a link to the marketing material online (ie. Right Move / Zoopla)
  • Details of alterations to the property as detailed above


We will then advertise the property on our Former council properties for sale webpage for eight weeks.

3. Once you have a potential buyer/tenant 

You do not need to wait until the end of the eight week period if your buyer or tenant has either lived and/or worked in the Gloucestershire or the Cotswolds AONB continually for three years immediately before the proposed purchase of the property. They will need to complete an application form and send it to:

Apply for consent to buy or let

 4. If the buyer or tenant doesn’t meet the criteria

We send the completed application form to the relevant Councillors to consider and they may give consent for the sale after the initial eight week marketing period or ask for more information.