Skip to main content

Planning application supporting information

You may need to submit extra information with your planning application. This is known as validation criteria.  If you do not submit all the correct information with your application it may take longer for you to get permission.

You will need to check the list of requirements for the type of project you are doing. Details on what to submit for a householder application are available from the planning portal. Our requirements are available in the householder validation checklist.

You must submit plans that:

  • are Ordnance Survey based, at a scale of 1:1250 or 1:2500 up-to-date, with north marked and must cover a large enough area to enable the location to be easily found
  • have a red outline around the boundary of your house including any garden
  • have a blue outline around any other land you own (that is not your house or garden)

There is a checklist available for full planning applications.

Validation requirements for different types of planning application

Application forms for different consent types are available on the planning portal. Validation criteria for types of work not listed that need prior approval are included in the application form, for example, change of use, householder extension.

Change or approval of conditions added to a planning proposal

You may get planning permission but with conditions attached. You will either need to:

  • apply for approval of the planning conditions
  • apply to remove or vary the planning conditions

Consent for adverts

For some adverts you will need to get consent. The validation checklist tells you what additional information you will need to include with your application.

Lawful Development Certificate

You can apply for a lawful development certificate when you do not need planning permission to prove that your development is legal.

Check what extra information you need to submit to get a lawful development certificate.

Outline planning permission with reserved matters

Outline planning permission gives agreement for how a site could be developed. The permission is given as long as an application for approval of certain conditions, called Reserved Matters, is submitted.

Rural Housing

You must submit the rural housing form in support of any planning application for small-scale developments of two or more dwellings in rural areas.

Waste and recycling guidance for developers

In order for waste facilities to be successfully incorporated in any development they should be fully considered in the planning stages of that development. 

Net Zero Carbon Toolkit, for new building and retrofit housing

A practical and easy-to-navigate guide on how to plan a Net Zero Carbon housing project. Net Zero Carbon Toolkit.