Cabinet decision making
The Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Meetings and Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2012 say that we must publish a notice:
- containing information about any key executive decision which will be taken, 28 clear days before the date of the decision
- containing information about any executive decision which will be taken by the Cabinet or an individual member of Cabinet in private session, for exmaple after a resolution to exclude the public has been made, 28 clear days before the date of the decision
- five clear days before the meeting in question
The Council’s executive forward plan (the plan) incorporates the first two requirements. The agendas for meetings will include the third requirement. Agendas and reports for meetings of the Cabinet are available five working days before the meeting.
The plan includes details of:
- items to be debated by the Cabinet which relate to policy or budget formulation
- items which will be subject to a recommendation to Council
- other matters to be considered by the Cabinet (when known)
- the names and responsibilities of current members of the Cabinet
The plan is updated on a monthly basis, and the timing of items may be subject to change.
Sometimes, a key decision can be taken or considered in private, even though 28 clear days notice has not been given. If such an exception occurs, a notice of the matter and the reasons will be published on this page.
These are defined as those which are financially significant (in terms of spending or savings) for the service or function concerned. Or which will have a significant impact on two or more wards in the district.
The Council has decided that something is financially significant for these purposes if it is an executive decision which requires a budget expenditure of £100,000 or more, or generates savings of £100,000 or more.
The head of democratic services will decide whether a decision will have a significant impact on two or more wards.
For more information on the plan, and details of the latest plan, contact committee services at email@example.com.