rating button
Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Comments and complaints

We want to provide our customers with the best possible service. To help us improve and enhance our services we would like you to share your views and experiences with us.

Let us know

We would love for you to let us know about something we have done well or if you have a suggestion for us. You can also give us a call or let us know in person at one of our offices.

Make a comment

If you decide to come into our offices to make a complaint in person, we will accept this and pass it to the relevant service area. We will not ask you to put it in writing. 

We also want to make it as easy as possible for you to let us know when things have gone right or wrong. Contact us if you need this information in a different format, for example in a different language, large print or braille.

If things do go wrong

If something does go wrong we need you to tell us about it when it happens.  We learn from our mistakes and want to put things right; quickly.  So when you tell us what went wrong we’ll ask you to tell us how we can put things right too.

We’ll consider your complaint if you tell us about it within 12 months of it happening.

Make a complaint

You can also make a complaint by:

  • Let us know by clicking the Make a complaint button below
  • emailing customer.feedback@cotswold.gov.uk 
  • calling 01285 623000
  • visiting us in person and speak to any member of the team
  • filling in a feedback form available from our reception areas
  • letting your local Councillor know
  • writing to us at: Cotswold District Council, Trinity Road, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 1PX

Exemptions from this complaints process

There are certain matters that cannot be considered within this complaints procedure, this includes:

  • where an appeals procedure already exists for example Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support or planning appeals
  • where the complainant is challenging a planning judgement
  • allegations of misconduct or complaints made by staff under our Grievance Procedure
  • complaints regarding the handling of Freedom of Information requests
  • complaints about the conduct of elected members  
  • a service failure, for example, a missed bin

What happens next

Stage 1: Assessment

We will acknowledge your complaint within two working days give you a full response within five working days. If for any reason we cannot do this we will keep you updated. We hope to resolve your complaint at this stage but may need to refer it for a more detailed investigation.

Stage 2: Investigation

If you are still not happy after our Stage 1 response, or if we determine that a more detailed investigation is required,  your complaint will be referred for an independent investigation. We will aim to issue a final response within 10 working days, and will keep you updated if this will not be possible.

Stage 3: Appeal

If following a full investigation you remain dissatisfied with the outcome you can appeal and request that the matter if reconsidered.

Stage 4: Local Government Ombudsman

If we have been unable to resolve your complaint, then you can refer your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. We’ll provide information on how to do this in our final response.  

Related Pages