Skip to main content


If you plan to demolish a building, or part of a building, you may need to submit a demolition notice to us, neighbouring owners and gas, water and electricity providers.

You need to give six weeks notice of a demolition.

You do not need to let us know if you are going to demolish:

  • buildings with an external size of less than 50 metres cubed, which is smaller than the average double garage
  • building extensions on a larger building that consist of an attached conservatory, shed or garage
  • buildings used solely for agriculture
  • work in occupied buildings where it is intended that it should continue to be occupied

Fill in the demolition notice and email it back to

If we think there are other conditions you need to consider we will send out a Counter Notice. This will include anything extra we think you should do to make sure the demolition will be safe.

When you can start demolition work

Demolition work should only start after one of the following:

  • we send you a counter notice
  • six weeks after the demolition notice was submitted
  • we have confirmed in writing that a counter notice will not be sent to you

You may also need other consents before you carry out your demolition works, for example:


If materials containing asbestos are found during demolition you must immediately inform the health and safety executive and follow the requirements for the safe removal and disposal of asbestos.